Novel Nominals in Child English

Margaret Fleck margaretmfleck at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 14:15:52 UTC 2009

"Witch's ride" is also grammatically possible as an adult compound.     Witnessthe recent headline "Papa John's founder finds his ride."   That's a car, but Iknow I've heard it used with motorcycles as well.   And as anyone who dealswith small kids ought to know, there's quite a well-known (male) witch whorides a motorcycle in lieu of a broom.    "Witch's ride" would be right at home asa crossword puzzle clue for broom, i.e. a slight stretch from likely usage.
Cheers,
Margaret