List of semantic features

Lorraine McCune mccune at rci.rutgers.edu
Fri Feb 5 14:46:33 UTC 2010

For verbs a good place to start is Talmy's motion event analysis.
This is quite robust and has solid links to early cognition.

But I assume you all are aware of this. I look forward to others responses.

At 08:04 AM 2/5/2010, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>We are also interested in the semantic features and specially in
>verbs. Do anybody know a tool or something to identify words through
>semantic features? We are working with disabled children and this list
>could help us a lot in our work.
>
>We really would like to share such kind of information with you, Ben.
>
>Thanks,
>Teresa
>
>On 5 feb, 13:32, "Ambridge, Ben" <Ben.Ambri... at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > First of all, I don't know anything about this area, so please
> forgive me if this question is spectacularly ignorant!
> >
> > Does anyone know if anybody has ever attempted to produce a
> reasonably exhaustive list of semantic features (e.g., MOTION,
> CAUSE etc...) which can be "present", "absent" or "indifferent" for
> each of a given set of items (I'm mainly interested in verbs, but also nouns).
> >
> > I'm not looking for articles that debate the merits of
> componential analysis (with reference to only a few example
> features) or articles that group together verbs in terms of similar
> semantics (e.g., Levin, 1993) - just the longest possible list of
> candidate semantic features.
> >
> > To avoid cluttering everyone's inboxes, please reply to me
> directly -
> Ben.Ambri... at Liverpool.ac.uk<mailto:Ben.Ambri... at Liverpool.ac.uk>
> -  and I'll post a summary to the list.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Ben
>
>--

Lorraine McCune, EdD
Chair, Department of Educational Psychology
Graduate School of Education
Rutgers University
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901