Updated self-contained toddler recording harness?

Margaret Fleck margaretmfleck at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 6 00:43:54 UTC 2010

I used a minidisc recorder because that was what was good at the time, but there
must be better similar devices these days.

For the garment, I think (combining my experience with the stories from others I've
seen) there are several important considerations
    * what can you get and adapt easily without having to do much sewing?
    * other needs of your experiment (e.g. the colors to identify kids mentioned by Katie)
    * what activities must it withstand and/or be compatible with?

The activities considerations are going to depend dramatically on your experiment.
For example, a small device on the right part of the back is ok even for diaper changes
or strapping into a stroller, where a larger backpack might cause discomfort.    Food
or paint or sand argue for protecting the recorder well, keeping the garment easy to
launder, and using a cheap mic.   Outdoor activities require that any cables must
detach or break quickly if entangled, for safety reasons.   But none of that's a real
issue if they are sitting quietly playing with a dollhouse.

Margaret