SOS re: Wave/MP3 Recorder

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Tue Jul 13 12:33:19 UTC 2010

I imagine your Roland can be coaxed into doing what you want to do, but I'm very satisfied with my Sony PCM-M10 and it can surely do what you need, though I highly recommend external speakers or headphones if you want to present stimuli. The Zoom H2 could also work, but the microphones aren't quite as good.

On Jul 12, 2010, at 7:27 PM, Henrietta Lempert wrote:

> Has anyone used a Roland R-05 Wave/MP3 recorder to record speech and/or
> songs, save the input on a computer, and record back from a computer file
> to a digital or tape recorder to present the stimuli to research
> participants.
>
> (I am not technologically advanced in this area - I still use a nice
> reliable tape recorder so may be embarassing myself with this question).
>
> According to the owner's manual, it can record meetings and do all kinds
> of fancy things with music...and it cost only $269 Canadian...but can it
> do the above?
>
> I'd be grateful if someone could recommend a reasonably priced alternative
> that could do the job -(I have 7 days to return the Roland)
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Henrietta Lempert

Dr. Gary Marcus

Professor of  Psychology
&
Director, NYU Center for Child Language

New York University
6 Washington Place
New York NY 10003

tel 212-998-3551
fax 212-995-4866

http://psych.nyu.edu/gary

author of Kluge: The Haphazard Construction of the Human Mind
and The Birth of the Mind: How a Tiny Number of Genes Creates the Complexity of the Human Mind