Digest for info-childes at googlegroups.com - 3 Messages in 1 Topic,

leah gedalyovich leah.gedalyovich at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 08:19:58 UTC 2010

Dear all
We are looking at doing acoustic analyses of the children's recording so
were planning to go for a head microphone in order to get more accurate
measures, e.g. of loudness. Any comments?
Thanx
Leah Gedalyovich
Hedim Audiological Services

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 6:18 PM, Brian MacWhinney <macw at cmu.edu> wrote:

> Dear Diane,
>
>    Are you setting the option on the Edirol to record in high quality CD
> format?  If not, that could make
> a big difference. GIven that the RRUS-570 only records in MP3, it would be
> remarkable for it to be better
> than the Edirol in full CD format.
>    Also, I would second Gary's note that the Zoom H2 has very confusing
> buttons and controls.
> In that regard, the Edirol R-09 (the model I have and which I recommend at
> http://talkbank.org/da/record.html)
> is much better.  Also, as I note at that page, the BossMicro gets good
> reviews, but I haven't tested it out myself
> yet.
>   In general, because we continually have discussion of these issues, I try
> to keep the information at
> http://talkbank.org/da/record.html accurate.  So far, I haven't found
> anything in the discussion here so far to change
> what I have there, but this stuff is tricky and I can't test out every
> possible device.
>
> --Brian MacWhinney
>
> On Jul 14, 2010, at 9:58 AM, Diane Pesco wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > I've used Edirol but have had equally good success with an inexpensive
> > (about $100) Panasonic RRUS-570 (or later models, if 570 discontinued,
> > e.g. 590 stores 2 GB) which also has a zoom.  I bought it here in Canada.
> > One advantage of the Edirol I used is that you can rename files right on
> > the recorder; on the Panasonic you cannot. There are other pros and cons,
> > but my research assistants involved in transcribing report that the
> > recordings from the Panasonic are better! You'd have to check if you can
> > transfer files back onto the recorder; I suspect so but never tried.
> > Diane Pesco
> >
> > info-childes at googlegroups.com on July-14-10 at 8:42 AM -0400 wrote:
> >> [Marker]
> >>

> >> Group: [ http://groups.google.com/group/info-childes/topics ]Today's
> >> Topic Summaryhttp://groups.google.com/group/info-childes/topics
> >>
> >> [
> >> fcp://@education.concordia.ca
> ,%231010696/MailBox/0101d4bd-000f6c08#group_thread_0
> >> ]SOS re: Wave/MP3 Recorder [3 Updates]
> >> [Marker]
> >> ]SOS re: Wave/MP3 Recorder
> >> Aarre <aarre.laakso at gmail.com> Jul 13 07:33AM -0700 [
> >> fcp://@education.concordia.ca
> ,%231010696/MailBox/0101d4bd-000f6c08#digest_top
> >> ]^
> >>
> >> Yes, I have used the Zoom H2 to do what you want (with speech
> >> stimuli), Henrietta. I found the buttons confusing, but it worked. If
> >> you get one, contact me for some specific tips.
> >>
> >> Be sure to read [ http://talkbank.org/da/ ]http://talkbank.org/da/ and
> [
> >> http://talkbank.org/da/record.html ]http://talkbank.org/da/record.html
> >> specifically. Searching the Info-CHILDES archives may also be helpful.
> >>
> >> I would recommend that you see if you can find PDF owner's manuals of
> [...]

Leah R. Paltiel-Gedalyovich                לאה ר. פלטיאל-גדליוביץ
Tel/Fax טל/פקס 0775060053
Mobile נייד 0527204631