Your Baby Can Read....Research? More on Early Language Variability

Lorraine McCune mccune at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed Mar 3 14:20:29 UTC 2010

Most norms these days are based on parent report
measures and do not distinguish between what may
have been context-limited words such as Jim lists
and words that generalize. I call them
"referential words" because they refer to
situations that are organized with reference to
some internal sense of meaning to which the child
refers. (The grouping of meanings under a given
lexical item may be idiosyncratic for the child.)
Once children have a couple of these words ...
and wawa and yaya below had potential for this...
in my work I have found rapid lexical growth,
more exponential than linear once the shift to
referential words occurs. Timing for the shift
varied from 14 months to 27 months by videotaped
data. Timing in 20 participants could be
predicted by cognitive, communicative, and
phonetic variables that I believe show a dynamic systems organization.

McCune, L (2008) How Children learn to Learn language. Oxford.

Pardon the promotion!

Lorraine

At 09:11 PM 3/2/2010, you wrote:
>Hi Liz,   I agree with these comments from Jim,
>as well as most you have received.   My own
>daughter too was not an especially quick
>starter, but once she got into sentences she
>just blossomed and blossomed and was so marvelous to observe and enjoy.
>
>         Really fluent exposure to 3 languages
> even if they are not equal in hours  per week
> is a great deal your daughter is getting as a
> great bonus for her language flexibility, and
> probably also for her thinking
> flexibility.  So, yes, enjoy, follow her
> interests and enthusiasms, and have fun in
> ordinary circumstances away from too much
> technology and as often as possible out in nature.
>
>         Best regards,  Keith Nelson
>

>At 6:05 PM -0500 3/2/10, James Morgan wrote:
>>Hi Liz,
>>
>>I hope that you will also follow the wise
>>advice to enjoy your baby and not get too
>>anxious about whether she is meeting artificial
>>developmental deadlines. You daughter is 16
>>months old and using one-word utterances - that
>>is well within the norms. I remember that when
>>my own daughter was 19 months, she had a total
>>vocabulary of four words: mama, dada, wawa
>>("dog") and yaya ("doll"). The average
>>productive vocabulary size at that age is about
>>80, so we were starting to get a bit worried
>>about her. For no good reason, as it turned
>>out. She soon started talking much more and
>>using sentences, not just one word at a time.
>>After I took her for her check up just before
>>her second birthday, on the way out to the car,
>>she said to me "Dad, you know what I like about
>>going to the doctor's office is getting to play
>>with all the toys in the waiting room." Quite a
>>sentence! She is now a highly verbal young adult.
>>
>>Children follow different developmental
>>pathways. I suspect that trying to force any
>>child down any pre-planned route is never optimal.
>>
>>Best,
>>   Jim Morgan
>>
>>At 05:43 PM 3/2/2010, you wrote:
>>>I really Appreciate that you all took to time to inform me and give me
>>>your opinions on the subject matter. I knew it seemed to good to be
>>>true and that is why i preferred to ask Professionals and experts in
>>>Language before i continued with it. I love my daughter and I agree
>>>that after reading all of your input it would be just a trick that you
>>>are teaching the child. I do read to her every day, and in three
>>>languages, so im hoping her language comes soon for she only says
>>>simple words like Agua, Mama, Dada, Teta Etc.
>>>But once again thank you so much for easing my worries by sharing with
>>>me all of your wonderful knowledge.
>>>
>>>Sincerely,
>>>Liz Pattison
>>>Undergraduate Research Assistant
>>>University of Texas at El Paso

>>>--
>>

>>--
>

>--
>

>Keith Nelson
>Professor of Psychology
>Penn State University
> [...]

Lorraine McCune, EdD
Chair, Department of Educational Psychology
Graduate School of Education
Rutgers University
10 Seminary Place
New Brunswick, NJ 08901