mystery book (children who begin speaking in sentences)

Nelson, Katherine KNelson at gc.cuny.edu
Wed Mar 31 14:04:51 UTC 2010

Hi to Jesse and all,
I do not know the book or books referred to, but the phenomenon of late talkers who begin to talk in sentences almost as soon as they begin to talk at all is not exceedingly rare, at least in my experience.  It has occurred in my extended family several times: my second child (Laura) said almost nothing until the end of the second year, and by 24 months was talking extensively in complete sentences. (I had not entered graduate school at that time and did not keep a record, but the phenonenon was notable because my first daughter talked early and acquired an extensive lexicon by 18 months.) Laura's daughter (my granddaughter) followed the same pattern - virtually no babble, completely normal comprehension, and at 25 months beginning with sentences, rapidly catching up.  My niece, whom I did not track so closely, apparently followed the same pattern.

One of the boys in my 1973 monograph study (second-born) also followed this pattern.  Those familiar with the monograph recall that I focused on individual differences, but the Expressive group was different - these children spoke at similar times and rates to the Referential (object-word group) but in small phrases or expressions.  I think of the silent one's (no or a few scattered words rarely used until 2-years) as a rarer but not exotically rare case of the individuality of learning to talk.  I strongly believe that it is a mistake to instruct parents to expect early word learning of mainly nouns, but rather to expect individuality in becoming a language user.  Of course, I believe that it is a mistake for psychologists or speech and hearing experts to expect all children to follow the mean pattern too.  Comprehension of what is said is a much better indication of language during the second year than production, in my view. The following references discuss the significance of individuality in the process of learning to talk.

Nelson, K. (1973). "Structure and strategy in learning to talk." Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development 38 (1-2, Serial No. 149).

Nelson, K. (1981). "Individual differences in language development: Implications for development and language." Developmental Psychology 17: 170-187.

Lieven, E. V. M., J. M. Pine, et al. (1992). "Individual differences in early vocabulary development: redefining the referential-expressive distinction." Journal of Child Language 19: 287-310.

Hampson, J. and K. Nelson (1993). "The relation of maternal language to variation in rate and style of language acquisition." Journal of child language 20: 313-342.

Nelson, K., J. Hampson, et al. (1993). "Nouns in early lexicons: Evidence, explanations, and implications." Journal of Child Language 20: 61-84.

Katherine Nelson