mystery book (children who begin speaking in sentences)

Jean Berko Gleason gleason at bu.edu
Wed Mar 31 15:40:29 UTC 2010

Hi everyone,

For an old book with reference to late talkers starting out in full
sentences, try Bertrand Russell, 1927, An Outline of Philosophy.  He
repeats the old story about Lord Macauley, who purportedly said nothing
until someone spilled hot tea/coffee on him when he was 4. When asked if
he was OK, he replied, "Thank you, madame, the agony is [quite]
[somewhat] abated."   Macauley's biographer notes that although M may
not have spoken, he had already read the bible by this age.

Russell also refers to Thomas Carlyle,  who was silent until the age of
3, but then, on hearing his baby brother cry, asked, "What ails wee Jock?"

These anecdotes have an almost timeless appeal, and I think we all know
some of our own.  For instance, I have a colleague, a psychoanalyst, who
tells me he said nothing until the age of nearly 4, when his family took
a holiday in Canada.  The formerly silent child looked out the train
window and said, "Look, Daddy, Lake Ontario!"

I'm sure the science is not there (no real studies on groups of children
who are silent until they suddenly burst forth with full blown language
in the preschool years), but the stories, like folk tales, have
consistent and satisfying elements.  So, why do we delight in these
anecdotes?

http://books.google.com/books?id=-AVp6Jm25WEC&printsec=frontcover&dq=bertrand+russell+outline+of+philosophy&source=bl&ots=YfmW4Sn0BA&sig=g1V3gmVsznY02LIlj1zBVKfECiE&hl=en&ei=6GezS8WnH8KBlAe3z5C6BA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Jean