Leiter R vs WPPSI with 3- and 4-year-olds

Kirsten Abbot-Smith kirsten.abbotsmith at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 13 09:36:14 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,
I need to assess non-verbal IQ for an intervention study with 3- and
4-year-olds with language and communication disorders. I therefore will have
to fork out a considerable amount of money for a test. I am currently
tossing up between the Leiter R (which claims to be the only truly
non-verbal test) and the Wechsler Pre-school and Primary Scale of
Intelligence (which seems to be more widely used).

Does anyone have any experience comparing the advantages and disadvantages
of using these two tests with this age group? I am quite wary of using
lengthy and boring tests with a group which are not exactly known for their
ability to maintain sustained attention and / or understand verbal
instructions!

Many thanks in advance,
Kirsten