Leiter R vs WPPSI with 3- and 4-year-olds

Margriet Groen m.groen at pwo.ru.nl
Sat Aug 13 10:55:45 UTC 2011

Dear Kirsten,

I don't have experience with the WPPSI, but have used two subtests from the
Leiter (Sequential Order and Repeated Patterns, which can be used to derive
a 'fluid reasoning' IQ score) extensively with children with Down syndrome
between the ages of 9 and 14 years. Quite a different age range of course,
but given their cognitive limitations probably comparable to working with
5-6 year-olds in some respect. I felt an advantage of the Leiter over other
tests (for example the WISC) is that you can give a lot of feedback and even
model responses on practice trials. The subtests I used, worked well with
the children and adolescents with Down syndrome in that they mostly enjoyed
them and did not score at floor.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Margriet Groen