pragmatic bootstrapping

Yonata Levy msyonata at huji.ac.il
Tue Mar 22 17:49:02 UTC 2011

Is it liberation from context or the adoption of a different one?
Seems to me imagination is about possible worlds, i.e. other contexts
Yonata

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Tom Roeper <roeper at linguist.umass.edu>wrote:

> It is pretty simple---if language is an autonomous system--we can form
> non-sense sentences---and
> possibly worlds.  All of creativity involves imagining and distorting how
> things are--going against
> context and reality----sometimes in a possible world, or may be an
> impossible one.
>     this is what Jabberwocky showed about a century ago.  It is the moment
> of liberation from context
> that we have to capture.
>
> Tom
>

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:29 PM, suse <sgrass at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>  i wouldn't eve have thought that "anti-pragmatic ability is the sign of
>> true acquisition"...
>>
>> Does that mean that one fully acquired language only when one is able to
>> use it inappropriately?
>> If this is what is meant, then i wonder how humankind was able to maintain
>> the ability to communicate linguistically. Or does the above statement mean
>> that true acquisition relates to the ability to understand sentences which
>> make no or little sense in our world (but may be true in other worlds in
>> which mice get eaten by cheese rather than the other way round and in which
>> Chomsky is an advocate of pragmatic bootstrapping?)
>>
>> regards,
>> Suse
>>

>> Am 22-03-11 17:03, schrieb Tom Roeper:
>>
>> Sorry---you know I was typing fast, and it is 1976---but I guess if we
>> went back to Panini, one
>> could probably find the idea earlier.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Matthew Saxton <M.Saxton at ioe.ac.uk>wrote:
>>
>>>  > ...... *embedded in Chomsky's remark in 1076 ......*
>>>

>>> I realise Chomsky has been around for some time, but who’d’ve though it?
>>> He precedes the invention of the printing press......
>>>

>>> Best wishes,
>>>

>>> Matthew Saxton.

>>> Saxton Academic Homepage <http://www.ioe.ac.uk/staff/PHDT/PHDT_71.html>

 *Prof. Yonata Levy*
*Psychology Department *
*and Hadassah-Hebrew University Medical School*
*Mount Scopus*
*Jerusalem 91905, ISRAEL*
**
*tel:972-2-5883408 (o)*