colour adjectives

Sonal Chitnis sonalc123 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 19:36:20 UTC 2011

Thanks for coming up with nice topic and the discussion  about acquisition
of naming of colours.
   In India, we  normally see children of age 3 yrs and beyond start
comprehending more than 2 basic colours and/ sorting colours as well. In my
opinion may be because of competitive world and education system, many
parents try introducing colour and shape concept by 2yrs of age. I have
seen my niece naming and sorting triangle, circle and square with their
respective colours ( blue, red, green)  in which they were painted when she
was just two and half and in an interview at the time of preschool/ KG
admission was asked to name. Many reputed schools now a days conduct an
informal parent child interview at the time of admission and selection
is based on the performance.

      Teaching/ introducing color-shape concept at the early childhood may
vary in education and attitude of parents, and socioeconomic status,etc. I
observed that many mothers mostly from urban areas would like to see the
child to be brilliant / a prodigy and they try to start introducing
alphabet, color, shapes, action words and rhymes  at very early age and if
the child is not learning it faster or having difficulty they rush to
pediatrician and SLP's!

On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM, Lorraine McCune <mccune at rci.rutgers.edu>wrote:

> I remember giving this information to my daughter some years ago when her
> daughter was about 18 months old. She promptly taught my granddaughter to
> name the color pink. She reliaby discriminated pink and non-pink. I so not
> remember what happened afterward! A niece learned "yellow" as a first color
> word at about three. For a long time all color questions were answered with
> "yellow"!
>
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:07 PM, suse <sgrass at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> dear colleagues,
>> i am setting up an experiment in which i want to use children's naming of
>> certain aspects of an object as dependent variable.
>> could someone by any chance tell me at which age children are able to
>> reliably (!) name 3-6 basic colours? i kind-of remember that it is
>> surprisingly late...
>>
>> thanks a lot indeed,
>> Susanne
>>
>> --
>> .
>>

> --
> Lorraine McCune, EdD
> Chair, Department of Educational Psychology
> Graduate School of Education
> Rutgers University
> 10 Seminary Place
> New Brunswick, NJ 08901
>
> Ph: 732-932-7496 ex. 8310
> FAX: 732932-6829
>
> Web Page: www.gse.rutgers.edu
>
>  <http://www.gse.rutgers.edu/>

Ms Sonal V Chitnis
Lecturer In Speech Language Pathology
Bharati Vidyapeeth University School of Audiology & Speech Language
Pathology,
4th Floor, Homeopathy Hospital building,
Katraj-Dhankawadi,
Pune- 411043.
Tel: 020 24377417