I need your help

eileen brann eileenbrann at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 21:14:21 UTC 2011

Parissa,
It sounds to me that he needs work on intonation patterns, both prosody and
fluency of speech (connecting the final phoneme of one word to the initial
phoneme of the next word- co-articulation needed in most cases, which is why
it is so difficult for kids).
I work with many children diagnosed with autism who need this type of
therapy. It is very common, and I do not think that he is too old to learn
this skill.

For example, one 7 year old that I work with now uses flat intonation to
ask questions, so we are using arrows at the end of a question (he reads
well), and making the emphasized  word larger than the others words in the
sentence. I have found that anything that you can do to visually represent
intonation patterns helps more than auditory, but you might try both
ways.  There are resources available so if you search under intonation or
accent reduction/modification. Some names in this field are Lorna Sikorski
and Compton (but for intonation patterns, not just for autism).

Eileen M.Brann, M.S., M.Ed,  CCC-SLP
Speech-Language Pathologist
PhD student
Dept of Special Education