the new Language History Questionnaire (LHQ v. 2)

Ping Li pul8 at psu.edu
Wed Oct 17 16:39:33 UTC 2012

Dear Colleagues,

I am pleased to let you know that we have revised the Language History
Questionnaire (Li, Sepanski & Zhao, 2006) that many colleagues have used in
the past. The new LHQ has much enhanced functionality on the web and can
collect data in the cloud (and it works much better than googleforms). Data
will be accumulatively saved as the participants fill in the online
questionnaire (there will no longer be transcription errors with data
collected this way). Privacy issues are considered by an investigator-based
sign-up process and the participants will use randomly assigned numbers to
complete the LHQ. Here is the website (http://cogsci.psu.edu/lhq.shtml),
along with a description of how to use the LHQ.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems or if you have any
comments and suggestions. We will continue to update the website so that it
can suit the needs of your study.

Best wishes,
Ping Li

---------------  http://cogsci.psu.edu/lhq.shtml  ----------------

Language history questionnaire (LHQ) is an important tool for assessing
language learners' linguistic background, the context and habits of
language use, proficiency in multiple languages, and the dominance and
cultural identity of the languages acquired. Outcomes from such assessments
have often been used to predict or correlate with learners' linguistic
performance in cognitive and behavioral tests. Previously we identified the
most commonly asked questions in published questionnaires and proposed a
generic LHQ (Li, Sepanski, & Zhao, 2006). Taking advantage of the dynamic
features of web-based interfaces, we have implemented a new cloud-based
LHQ, in four different modules to suit different researchers' focuses and
needs (history, usage, proficiency, and dominance). The new LHQ will allow
investigators to dynamically produce their own LHQ on the fly, and allow
participants to complete the LHQ online through individualized URLs. The
results are saved in a spreadsheet for all participants who have completed
the LHQ. The investigators can view, download, sort, and delete the LHQ
results on the web. Privacy issues are handled through online assignments
of ID numbers for experiments and recording of data with only participant
numbers. The new LHQ is estimated to save an average of 40-50 hours per
experiment while eliminating coding errors from manually transcribing LHQ
results.

The new online LHQ is easy to use. Simply follow the three steps below.
*Step 1:*
The investigator or experimenter completes the sign-up process (click on
Sign-Up below under LHQ Functions), and receives a unique Experiment ID and
a unique URL associated with his or her experiment.
*Step 2:*
The participant completes the LHQ online through the unique URL, and data
(with only participant numbers) are automatically saved. The LHQ is
self-explanatory, and there are often pull-down menus for the participant
to use.
*Step 3:*
The investigator or experimenter accesses the data through the unique
Experiment ID (from Step 1). He or she then deletes the data so that no
data are stored in the cloud after LHQ results are obtained.

Please cite the reference "Li, P., Sepanski, S., & Zhao, X. (2006).
Language history questionnaires: A web-based interface for bilingual
research. Behavior Research Methods, 38,
202-210."<http://cogsci.psu.edu/brm06.pdf>in any publications that
report data based on the LHQ. A future reference
to the new LHQ may be published and updated here.

If you have any questions or need further information on the questionnaire
or the use of it, please contact pul8 at psu.edu or fvz5016 at psu.edu. We
welcome your feeback, comments, and suggestions.