[Lexicog] definitions vs glosses and domain/context

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BLUEFELTHAT.ORG
Fri Aug 20 00:44:59 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 20:17, Rudolph C Troike wrote:
> An interesting point: the first word that sprang to mind for me when Mike
> posed his question was "repulsed" (not even Ron Moe's extensive analysis
> of the "shock" domain included this), based on his description of the
> desired meaning, but when the context was revealed, it was clearly not the
> appropriate choice. This points up again the difficult problem of
> definitions vs domain/context.

I think I'm going to be a little unfair to Rudolph and use his posting
as a jumping off point.  But, anyway, here it goes.

I'm not a lexicographer by any imaginative stretch--I can't speak
manglish--but...

Is the difficult problem with defintions vs domain/context?  Or, is it
between glosses and domain/context?

Is this one of those types of questions the naive ask on an email list,
step back, and then the experts "fight" it out?  <laugh out loud>

In all seriousness, I ask because glosses bother me (especially in Greek
lexicons).  I'd LOVE to have full but precise definitions.  Yeah, yeah,
I know, "full" and "precise"...how on earth dare those two words
collocate?  <chuckle>  I do like definitions.  Really!

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey at BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM