[Lexicog] sit vs. sit

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 22 22:06:17 UTC 2004

You're right, Rich. 'Be_at' is, of course, more accurate for the Cheyenne
(and other Algonquian) final at issue. It's simply faster for me to type the
three letters "sit" than "be_at". Time is money, as your metaphor colleague
would remind us!  :-)

I just was hoping for some simple English word way to differentiate the
Inanimate Intransitive 'be_at' from Animate Intransitive 'be_at.'

And I do agree with you that metalanguage label choices are important in
lexicography. English simple glosses are often misleading. Cheyenne -hoe <
PA *apikwa (?) is far more than just 'sit.' But sometimes we have to
compromise when we have many thousand lexemes, very little funding to hire
anyone else for keyboarding, and other pressing work. I like the way it is
stated in the recent collection ed. by Fromley/Hill/Munro that there are
often compromises in dictionary making.

Have a good week,
we're sprouting lots of green grass here on the rez,
Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language