[Lexicog] sit vs. sit

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 22 22:30:19 UTC 2004

RE: [Lexicog] sit vs. sitI like Rich's discussion, but the semantics of
these words gets even better. We have positionals, which in English come out
as 'be + preposition' (he's at home, he's in the shower, he's on the bed),
or simply prepositions in some sort of clause (he just stepped on my freshly
mopped floor with his muddy boots). Then we have linear movement verbs, some
incorporating manner (walk, run), and some incorporating starting and ending
points (come, go, arrive), and all sorts of other fun stuff (bang around).
These movement verbs can be intransitive, transitive (send, push), or
bitransitive (give) with all sorts of fun extras (accompany, follow). Then
there are the verbs with multiple objects (arrange, gather, scatter) with
all sorts of fun extras (join, tie). We also have directionals (toward,
from, upwards, north), which can get incorporated (rise, raise). Most of
these involve movement from one place to another. But the words we are
interested in belong to a large group of non-linear movement verbs that
still involve movement, but the object doesn't move from one place to
another. In this class we have verbs like 'shake, oscillate, swing (back and
forth), rotate'.

The verbs we have been discussing belong to the domain I call 'Posture'
(sit, stand, lie, lean). But here we have two lexical sets, those that
indicate a static state resulting from the movement, and those that involve
the movement itself. So a person can be sitting, or he can sit down.
FrameNet has two corresponding frames 'Change posture' and 'Posture'.
Although the FrameNet people don't say so, I believe 'Change posture'
inherits from the large frame 'Change of state scenario', which in turn has
the subframe 'Change of state endstate'. Prototypically (?) the posture
words refer to human posture. But they can be (universally?) extended to
animals and non-animate things that can assume similar postures. So a person
can lean against a wall, a bear can lean against a tree, and a ladder can
lean against a wall. Presumably animal postures are more similar to human
postures than inanimate objects, so I would guess that posture terms can be
easily applied to animals. At least animals can volitionally change posture
whereas inanimate objects cannot. For inanimate objects we have to have
accidental/non-volitional lexical items (fall over, collapse, topple) or
transitive verbs with an animate/volitional subject 'set (vt), stand (vt),
lean up against (vt), lay (vt)', or transitive verbs with a
non-volitional/unintentional causer as the subject '(the man/the wind)
knocked over the ladder'. When applied to an inanimate object, the 'Posture'
verbs must have a secondary sense. Although on the surface 'He was standing
outside the door' and 'The vase was standing on the desk' appear to be the
same meaning of 'stand', they don't yield the same implicatures (The vase is
standing because it stood up) or take directional adverbial complements
(stand up, sit down, lean over). Rich correctly points out that 'The ladder
is standing up' is incorrect. But I accept 'The cup is sitting on the
table'. It isn't that inanimates can't take a locative, it's that they can't
take a directional. However it is probably more accurate to say that 'stand
up' is a phrasal verb that takes an animate/volitional subject. I've already
analyzed 'the cup is sitting on the table' as a positional rather than a
posture. So I would guess that these inanimate subject verbs must take a
locative. The animate subject verbs answer the question 'What is he doing?'
The inanimate subject verbs answer the question 'Where is it?' On the other
hand I really like Rich's analysis of the "predominant dimension"
relationship between the animate and inanimate verbs. Which only goes to
show you how complex and interrelated lexical semantics is. Somebody should
check out the corpus evidence and find out if any of this will stand up :)
in the face of the evidence.

Ron