[Lexicog] What is considered "meat"?

Chaz and Helga Mortensen chaz_mortensen at SIL.ORG
Mon May 24 14:16:21 UTC 2004

N. Emberas simply add the word "flesh/meat" to the animal. Eterre djara is
chicken meat, paca djara is cow meat, etc. If the context is right, it is
not necessary to say "djara". I do not believe fish is considered "djara".

One can also say ne djara, "a kind of meat". Ne is a generalizer. Djara
'meat/flesh' does not seem to occur without a modifier. In Panama, where
there is more exposure to Spanish, ne djara is used by some to refer to
beef. My theory is that because in Spanish "carne" by itself refers to beef,
some Emberas have done the same with ne djara.

-Chaz

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM