[Lexicog] Bai variant words

Allens bryan_allen at SIL.ORG
Sat Oct 23 03:32:46 UTC 2004

Thanks for the replies. Bai has two 'official' versions of its orthography.
One is based on Jianchuan, one on Dali. I am using the one based on
Jianchuan. This will be a dictionary not a wordlist. I also have a survey
book in press which lists word list data for nine dialects (in IPA). The
dictionary will only have words from the Jianchuan dialect but even within
Jianchuan county there are variations (which do not generally affect
intelligibility). So my question pertains to that level of dialect
difference. And yes, it is connected with literacy issues. My colleague
working on a literacy program favours not including any variants in order to
reinforce a standard. I understand this approach, but I wonder whether
including them with a cross reference to the 'correct' i.e. standard version
might both help preserve some of the richness of the language and also help
with literacy.

Bryan

PS Patrick, have you done work on Bai? If so, I'd love to hear from you -
you can reply to me off the list.

---

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM