[Lexicog] Re: lexical entries as singulars or plurals

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Aug 23 19:15:30 UTC 2005

Mon zami,

I see alot of parallels with Ivorian French:

Here are a few similarities and differences:

un enfant - deux nanfans
un oncle  - deux noncles (one uncle - two nuncles)
un zanimo - deux zanimos (one nanimal - two nanimals)
les zafs = les affaires

Greetings,
Fritz

  Fritz --

  Sorry this is coming a bit late, but I thought you might be interested to
know that the word for 'eye' in St. Lucia Creole is zyé, from les yeux. To
specify singular, one would say zyé-a, with a postposed definite determiner,
to say 'the eye.' If you look under z in our dictionary you will find a
whole set of similar words, including

  zafè  'business'  [<Fr. les affaires]
  zanfan  'child'  [<Fr. les enfents]
  zannimo  'animal'  [<Fr. les animaux]