[Lexicog] Re: Changes in German usage

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Aug 24 19:16:49 UTC 2005

Patrick,

When one goes to the Englischer Garten in Munich, any sterotype one might
have
 about  English gardens and German behavior might be destroyed. Come to
Munich some day, I'll show you around.

I wonder how different cultures or subcultures define what is allowed or
forbidden.
Someone might say "Allowed" is "what is not forbidden." Others have a more
sensitive
conscience. In religion and law fine distinctions can be made, like in Islam
where
actions are classified on a cline from strongly forbidden (an abomination),
forbidden,
not recommended, recommended, allowed, neutral. The apostle Paul said
"Everything
is allowed, but not everything is useful."
Am I right I seeing a change in Western countries (like Holland, Germany,
France, the US)
from conservative and religious values to a "new tolerance" which is
reflected in the
language? What once was banned, verboten, prohibited now becomes acceptable.

Fritz

  'Niet op het gras lopen' sounds more friendly, don't you think?

  In Germany, there are notices in parks which appear to _give permission_
  for lying on the grass -- "Liegewiese", literally something like "lying-on
meadow".
  This, too, strikes a Brit. as odd, but maybe there is a pragmatic
implication that
  dogs should not be allowed to foul it, nor bicycles ridden over the
recumbent
  persons stretched out there in the sunshine.

  One can also find grassy areas specifically allocated to dogs --
"Hundewiese".
  I suppose no sane person would want to lie on a Hundewiese.  It's all very
  orderly and organized.

  Patrick