[Lexicog] Re: Changes in German usage

Margaret Marks margaret.marks at GMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 24 19:21:04 UTC 2005

On 8/24/05, Patrick Hanks <hanks at bbaw.de> wrote:

> '
>
> In Germany, there are notices in parks which appear to _give permission_
> for lying on the grass -- "Liegewiese", literally something like "lying-on
> meadow".
> This, too, strikes a Brit. as odd, but maybe there is a pragmatic
> implication that
> dogs should not be allowed to foul it, nor bicycles ridden over the
> recumbent
> persons stretched out there in the sunshine.

It can be very countrified. Here in Fürth, there are a whole lot of Wiesen
that may not be walked on, especially with dogs, between March and
September. They don't want dogs fouling the grass because it's cut and dried
for fodder, and they don't want the storks disturbed. There is also an
aggressive dog-owning faction that insists on invading the meadows because
'we pay dog taxes and this is a wicked doghating society'. This is a
difficult place for dogs, especially after all the news about small children
being mauled or killed. Maybe your Hundewiese is a place where dogs are
allowed off the lead?

I do have a feeling there's more emphasis on fears about all sorts of
dangers than there is in Britain.

Margaret Marks (delurking)
www.margaret-marks.com/Transblawg <http://www.margaret-marks.com/Transblawg>