[Lexicog] lady bug

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at CENTRUM.CZ
Fri Sep 16 08:12:07 UTC 2005

Nick,

I don't want to sound like a native speaker who murmurs against a non-native
linguist repeatedly. That is not my intention.
Nevertheless, 'beruška' does not sound like "a diminutive of 'brouk'
('beetle')" to my native ear. Checking the word in the Czech Etymological
dictionary reveals that the origin of the word is unclear, with two or three
theoretically possible, but unproven options.
By the way, the older version of beruška is berunka, and an even older one
is bedrunka, still used here in the Wallachian dialect.

Jan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM