[Lexicog] Hebrew and Greek Shoebox databases

List moderator lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jul 29 17:45:16 UTC 2007

Cheryl, I am also forwarding your message to the Toolbox discussion list. If
you are not familiar with it, its website is at Internet address:
http://groups.google.com/group/ShoeboxToolbox-Field-Linguists-Toolbox/

You may receive responses from either list.

Wayne Leman
Lexicography list moderator

----- Original Message -----
From: Cheryl Reitz
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2007 9:05 AM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Hebrew and Greek Shoebox databases

Hello Ron, I was intrigued when you mentioned converting your
database to Unicode; maybe you can help me troubleshoot a Unicode
conversion problem. I am working with a Toolbox database (5000+
entries in Sudanese language, Mabaan, data collected over 30 years by
my neighbour Betty Miller, now 84). It is now in an SIL font (Mabaan
Sophia) and I want to convert all into Arial MS Unicode font. There
are several characters in the Vernacular we must search-replace to do
this (they show up as corrupted when we change to Arial MS Unicode).
We know the 4-digit hex-characters we now have and that we want to
convert them to, but we are having difficulties with inputting these
in the Toolbox Search-Replace interface. Do you have any pointers on
how to do this? Perhaps there is a way to export the Vernacular
fields, convert in Word, then re-import? Sorry, I'm just starting out
on this software and Betty does not know much about it herself.
She's an expert on Mabaan, not computers! Many, many thanks. Cheryl
Reitz

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, "Ron Moe" <ron_moe at ...>
wrote:

> I can send you my dictionary and will gladly do so for free. (I'll
send it
<snip>

    mailto:lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    mailto:lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com