[Lexicog] visual dictionaries

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at CENTRUM.CZ
Thu Mar 22 08:18:27 UTC 2007

Ron,

We have produced an elementary picture dictionary of Lakota. It contains
about 600 words in 24 semantic domain units. The book is in full color
with nice illustrations and is available at the Lakota Language
Consortium website: www.lakhota.org. It is titled the "Level 1 textbook
- Lakhotiya Woglaka Po"

We are hoping to produce a large visual dictionary in the future.

Jan

Jan Ullrich
Lakota Language Consortium
www.lakhota.org
e-mail: jfu at lakhota.org

----------------------

Has anyone produced a visual dictionary? There are several in English
(and I suppose other major languages). I’m interested in examples for
minority languages.
A visual dictionary would be composed of pictures with labels. A page
might contain numerous pictures of animals with each animal labeled in
the vernacular (and perhaps the national language). Another page might
contain a large picture of a house with each part labeled. If anyone
knows of a dictionary that has employed this type of format, I would
appreciate knowing how to obtain a copy.
Thanks,
Ron Moe

3/19/2007 11:49 AM

3/20/2007 8:07 AM