[Lexicog] "It ain't over til' the fat lady sings"

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue May 13 15:00:12 UTC 2008

To keep the verb ‘jump’ and the figurative sense of the “fat lady” idiom,
how about English equivalents like

‘Don’t jump the gun” or “Don’t jump to conclusions”?

FG

> John Roberts: I am not sure I understand what 'Don't say 'jump' before you

> do' means. Does it mean something like 'Look before you leap'?

This is exactly what it means...
Except I wanted to give you the word-by-word rendering into English :-)

> Polish:
> Nie mów "hop" zanim nie przeskoczysz...
> (Don't say 'jump' before you do)

WS
prof. Wlodzimierz Sobkowiak
School of English
Adam Mickiewicz University
al. Niepodleglosci 4
61-874 Poznan
Poland
tel. (48-61) 8293506
fax (48-61) 8523103
e-mail: sobkow at amu.edu. <mailto:sobkow%40amu.edu.pl> pl
e-mail: swlodek at ifa. <mailto:swlodek%40ifa.amu.edu.pl> amu.edu.pl
official web page: http://ifa.amu.
<http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/fa/Sobkowiak_Wlodzimierz>
edu.pl/fa/Sobkowiak_Wlodzimierz
personal web page: http://ifa.amu. <http://ifa.amu.edu.pl/~swlodek/>