[Lexicog] Spellchecking Unicode in MS-Office

al haraka alharaka at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 15 02:34:51 UTC 2008

Lexicographers,

Please spare me.  Their product is so bad, you cannot even type in Arabic on
Mac versions of Office 2008, and it was not so hot on prior versoins (except
for dictionaries they contracted out to Arab companies, they had no
competence in this regard).  Prior to that, you could not type any Arabic
effectively in Outlook as far back as 2003, and if it did the alignment was
always LTR, no exceptions.  At least Thunderbird gave me an extension to
remedy this problem.

I would like for someone to suggest Arabic extinct.  Moreover, the
government pretends they are interested, and any kind of computational
linguistics project involving Arabic is all the funding rage right now.  So,
Microsoft should be a little embarrassed.  I will begrudgingly admit,
however, I typically load MS core fonts onto my linux distros so websites
are easier on the eyes.

Developing fonts is tremendously difficult (which I had no clue about until
a year or so ago by way of Arabic FOSS translators and programmers), so I am
not surprised Mozilla Foundation et al. have not followed up with some
trendy fonts.

Best,
_AJS

--