[Lexicog] Digest Number 1050

Ronald Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Nov 20 03:29:41 UTC 2008

Mike Maxwell wrote:

"Paint me skeptical..."

Ah, a man after my own heart. On the positive side the DDP word collection
process works because people are able to start with (what seems to me like)
a hub and think of lots of words related to it. So there must be mental
links that we can use to recall a set of semantically related words. On the
other hand, Mike is correct that  you can take any word and come up with
links to other words. 'High chair' is a good example and Mike points out
some obvious links. It is used by small children (old enough to sit up and
too young to sit on a regular chair). It is used to feed the child, usually
be placing food on a tray that attaches to the arms of the chair. So 'high
chair' must be linked to 'child' and 'eat' (or 'feed') and 'arm (of a
chair)', etc. Or is it? Would it be more accurate to say that 'high chair'
activates a scenario that includes a parent placing the child in the high
chair and feeding the child? In which case the links are to elements of the
scenario rather than to particular lexical items.

Theoretical models are, by necessity, over-simplifications of reality,
otherwise we could not conceptualize them away from the mass of detail in
the real world. A model such as the one we are discussing may enable us to
make some observations that we couldn't without the over-simplification. If
we attempt to enrich the model with more detail, eventually we become
overwhelmed with the detail. Mike points out that there are different kinds
of links. In fact Steyvers and Tenenbaum's article talks about directional
links. In free association 'cat' leads to 'dog' in a single direction. 'Dog'
may also lead to 'cat', but not necessarily. Some lexical relations are
reflexive (e.g. synonym) but others are not. The part-whole relationship is
a one-to-many relationship.

Steyvers and Tenenbaum's article state that there are an average of four or
five links between any two words. But the examples they give are flawed. One
of the series they give is "volcano > mountain > sea > saw > tooth > ache".
But the meaning of 'sea' in the 'mountain > sea' link is obviously different
than the meaning in the 'sea > saw' link. In fact the 'sea > saw' link could
be interpreted two ways-as an inflectional link between 'see' and its past
tense 'saw', or as a compound link 'see' + 'saw' = 'seesaw'. In either case
the linkage makes a transcontinental leap from 'sea' to 'see'. Another
series is "volcano > erupt > blow > hair > head > ache". In this series it
is 'blow' that has two meanings. So they are tracing links between
phonological or orthographic forms and ignoring the semantics. Yet they
claim they are investigating the "semantics network". If so, these links
would have to specify which meaning of the word is being linked. So.

Paint me skeptical too.

Ron Moe

  _____