[Lexicog] Joe the Plumber

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Oct 22 21:42:56 UTC 2008

Now Wurzelbacher's real first name is Samuel, his nickname is "Joe."

I guess Sam(uel) the Plumber would not have been as pithy nor suitable to be
exploited for political reasons.

Joe the X stands a better chance to enter the lexicon as representative of
the average American.

Probably because Joe seems to be the most commonly used male first name to
characterize a typical/representative person as "average Joe ", "G.I. Joe ",
Joe sixpack, Joe Cool.

In two weeks we will know better whether "Joe the Plumber" has a chance to
enter into the lexicon.

Fritz Goerling

Scott Nelson wrote:

Rudy Troike said on "Idioms and Phraseology": "I'm reminded of Alton
Becker's rejection of Chomsky's autonomous syntax by arguing that
`all of language is recycled combinations, and that this is how we
learn language...'"
I think that's a great principle in understanding language
acquisition and evolution. An interesting modern-day example might
be "Joe the Plumber," the current mantra used on the American
political beat to refer to the average citizen. Of course this is an
offshoot of "Joe sixpack." But Joe the plumber will only enter the
lexicon if it holds up over time. Till then it might be considered a
current and localized allusion. (Wouldn't it be funny if this lead
to "Joe the...(something)" -- to refer to any group, organization, or
political persuasion?)