[Lexicog] Joe the Plumber

Scott Nelson bolstar1 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 22 22:06:27 UTC 2008

Hayim, hi. Yes, you are right about the root of the word "assassin," being from the Muslim word that meant one who was sent out during the Crusades to kill Christian leaders. The word "assassin" entered the English language in the 13th century, 300 years before Shakespeare's coinage. But it was Shakespeare who is credited with the grammatical shift to the noun "assassination." And oddly, it was twelve or thirteen years after the bard's use of "assassination" that the verb "assassinate" (1607) entered the English lexicon.
     I think I mentioned in a post about a year ago that `coinages' can be construed to include functional (grammatical) shifts -- according to Merriam Webster linguists. And even the Merriam Webster scholars allowed linguistic parameters of Shakespearean coinage to be questioned. They cite some who say he coined only a few hundred, and others who say 10,000+. But they settle for a likely approximation of 1,500.
     I asked before if anyone had a good set of parameters for what constitutes "coinage." There were no takers at the time. The subject is still open to debate.
Scott Nelson

--- On Wed, 10/22/08, Hayim Sheynin <hayim.sheynin at gmail.com> wrote:

From: Hayim Sheynin <hayim.sheynin at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Joe the Plumber
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 3:32 PM

Dear Scott,

Please check your data about the
assassination (noun -- Shakespeare coinage) ?
I doubt this, since I know that the ethimology of
this word is from Arabic hassassiniya.
There was in Baghdad a sect or secret organization
under this name which practiced murder and political
killings. Later this organization developed branches
in other countries, like Malaysia.
I presume it came to Shakespeare either from French or
Dutch.

Hayim Sheynin