[Lexicog] Re: non-phonetic pronunciation or simple (re)spelled pronunciation

rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU rtroike at EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Dec 21 20:46:09 UTC 2011

Howdy, Pat,

   Re your question, Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary used to include
their own long-standing re-spelling system, which was designed in part to
hide regional differences, so people who pronounced key words differently
could still find their own pronunciation as a key. Somewhere after the 9th
edition they introduced a modified phonemic transcription, using \ \ lines
to enclose the pronunciation. So if you don't have to have the 'very latest'
'NEW' 1,000 words (computer jargon, 'app', 'ninja', etc.), and can find an
older M-W dictionary, you'll have what you are looking for.

   Merry Christmas,

   Rudy Troike
   Department of English
   University of Arizona
   Tucson, Arizona

1a. NON-PHONETIC PRONUNCIATION OR SIMPLE (RE)SPELLED PRONUNCIATION

POSTED BY: "PPETOWUSA"  PPETOWUSA at YAHOO.COM
Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:50 pm        (PST)

        Are there any print dictionaries on the college level that use a
  non-phonetic, non-IPA, pronunciation guide, sometimes called "respelled
  pronunciation."  I have the Collins Webster's Dictionary (paper, 2003, 2007),
  but it is not college-level.

  I know that there are some "radio" or TV broadcasters' pronunciation guides,
  and Iowa Public Radio has a guide online, but these emphasize people
  and places and music and are not comprehensive.  I also understand that
  Cambridge (UK) and Oxford have published pronunciation guides although the
  format may be IPA--but I am interested in American English.

  Thank you.

  Pat Petow

    lexicographylist-digest at yahoogroups.com
    lexicographylist-fullfeatured at yahoogroups.com