[Lexicog] A must-have list for lexicography

Ron Moe ronmoe7@gmail.com [lexicographylist] lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Fri Sep 4 20:58:02 UTC 2015

Here is a short annotated bibliography of books that I have found very
helpful.  --Ron Moe

Atkins, B. T. Sue, and Michael Rundell. 2008. The Oxford Guide to Practical
Lexicography. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

The authors of this book are editors of commercial dictionary projects.
They also teach the Master Class, a short course on lexicography. The book
describes how they work in a commercial setting. So their procedures are a
bit different than what many lexicographers do in minority language
situations. But the book is still a wealth of ideas.

Fontenelle, Thierry (ed.). 2008. Practical lexicography: a reader. Oxford:
Oxford University Press.

This book is a collection of excellent articles on various aspects of
lexicography.

Newell, Leonard E. 1995. Handbook on Lexicography. Manila: Linguistic
Society of the Philippines.

This book is especially relevant for Philippine (and other Austronesian)
languages and is a good practical introduction to lexicography in a
minority language setting.

Croft, William, and D. Alan Cruse. 2004. Cognitive Linguistics. Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.

This is a good introduction to Cognitive Linguistics. In my opinion
Cognitive Linguistics provides the best theoretical orientation for doing
lexical semantics.

Lakoff, George, and Mark Johnson. 1980. Metaphors we live by. Chicago: The
University of Chicago Press.

This book introduced the theory of “conceptual metaphors”. I have found
that an understanding of conceptual metaphors is essential to understanding
many secondary senses of words and idioms.

Sinclair, John. 1991. Corpus, Concordance, Collocation. Oxford: Oxford
University Press.

This is a good introduction to corpus studies and contains some good case
studies. The text corpus method is essential for investigating lexical
semantics.

Landau, Sidney I. 2001. Dictionaries : the art and craft of lexicography.
Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (0-521-78040-3)

This is a standard textbook on lexicography.

Goddard, Cliff. 1998. Semantic analysis: a practical introduction. Oxford:
Oxford University Press.

This is a good introduction to semantics and Natural Semantic Metalanguage.

Wierzbicka, Anna. 1985. Lexicography and conceptual analysis. Ann Arbor:
Karoma.

A good collection of studies on various kinds of words.Wierzbicka, Anna.
1996. Semantics: primes and universals. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

This is a good introduction to the theory of Natural Semantic Metalanguage,
which Wierzbicka founded. I’ve found NSM to be very helpful in clarifying
the meaning of words.

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 11:17 AM, 'SIEGEL, Jason'
jason.siegel at cavehill.uwi.edu [lexicographylist] <