mini disc recorder

Bruce Mannheim mannheim at umich.edu
Sun Jul 1 20:41:04 UTC 2001

Sonja,

I will be very brief in answering this since I am writing from Perú.

The short answer is that you need both a DAT and a soundboard that is fully digital.  I was surprised to find that some soundboards have digital ports but convert the signal to analogue before converting it back to digital.  It does not make a lot of sense to me as an engineering solution, but I don´t know what considerations go into designing a sound board.

You will need a DAT for later instrumental work because the encoding used by minidiscs is a lossy form of encoding, where parts of the signal are dropped.  The resulting signal is very good to the ear (I am a minidisc fan and have one with me) but not up to speed for sound analysis.

I do recommend minidiscs for things like preparing speech samples for lectures and so forth, where signal losses are not at issue.  It is also not the case that the losses are all in inaudible ranges.

There is a midisc home page that discusses the technology in detail (though the compression formulae are proprietary to Sony).  I recommend it to you (though I do not have the address at hand).  It wll also likely have discussion of the digital capture issue, since it is one that is frequently discussed on e-lists of minidisc enthusiasts.

A common piece of advice in response to your question is that the key piece of equipment that is most often overlooked is the microphone.  It is important that you chose a good microphone (which will cost $$$) and one that is suited to the kinds of recordings that you want to do.  Others will have better guidence than I do.

Regards,

Bruce