transcribing digitized recordings

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at midway.uchicago.edu
Wed May 30 17:08:31 UTC 2001

At 12:43 PM 5/30/2001 -0400, Steven Bird wrote:

>Laura Ahearn writes:
> > Does anyone know of a machine with foot pedals or a software program that
> > would facilitate the transcription of digitized recordings?  A student of
> > mine has just bought a mini-disk digital recorder and is wondering how
> > she's going to transcribe her recordings.
>
>A wonderful tool for this is called "Transcriber":
>
>   http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/mirror/Transcriber/
>
>Inspired by this tool, we've been developing a family of similar tools for
>transcription and annotation, called AGTK (Annotation Graph Toolkit) which
>recently went open source.  The software is still in the development stage:
>
>   http://www.ldc.upenn.edu/AG/

Another more streamlined tool is UC Santa Barbara's VoiceWalker, which
basically works like a dictation machine (allows one to "walk" stepwise
through a recording):

http://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/resources/computing/download/download.htm

I find this quite useful if used in conjunction with a program like WaveLab.

Cheers,
Ben

Benjamin G. Zimmer
Ph.D. Candidate