term search

Christian Nelson cnelson at comm.umass.edu
Fri Oct 12 15:34:17 UTC 2001

Hi folks:
Two related questions I hope I can get help for:
1) Is there a specific term for terms that serve both as terms for a
genre and terms for members of that same genre (e.g., "man" when used to
refer to both male homo sapiens and all homo sapiens)? (I'm tempted to
use the term "generic term" for this, and I know others do, but wouldn't
a generic term just be a term for a genre of things and not also a term
for things that are members of the genre?)
2) Is there any book or article that you'd recommend that discusses the
processes by which words for a genre of things become (also) words for
members of that genre and vice versa?
Thanks,
Christian Nelson