timing patterns in language?

Richard J Senghas Richard.Senghas at sonoma.edu
Mon Sep 19 21:44:46 UTC 2005

Hey folks,

I recall coming across an article or paper that analyzed timing
patterns in speech, but cannot locate it now, despite my best
efforts.  The article analyzed extremely small differences in timing
patterns with speech, down to microsecond levels, if I recall
correctly, and concluded that native English-speaking descendents of
Italian-speaking immigrants were unconsciously carrying timing
patterns that had been handed down the generations, despite the
change in native language.  These patterns account, in part, for the
particular ethnic association people will attribute to certain ways
of speaking.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  If so, I'd love references, or
even pointers to likely sources.

Thanks,

-Richard