anthropology of letter writing

Gretchen Pfeil pfeil at uchicago.edu
Thu Jun 22 18:04:08 UTC 2006

All,

Frank Cody is indeed working on these issues. He gave a wonderful
talk at the U of Chicago Monday colloquium. The talk addressed
letters, handwriting, adult literacy, and the representation of
political subjects in Tamil Nadu. I have seen other talks he's done
which take up fairly directly the question of scribal mediation in
epistolary projects. I highly recommend talking to him about his
current work. I think it might be of direct interest (and regional
relevance?). I do not know, however, if/how he is reachable right now.

Best,

Gretchen Pfeil

Graduate Student
Department of Anthropology