Video to DVD transfer?

Jonathan Dembling dembling at anthro.umass.edu
Thu May 15 18:39:03 UTC 2008

Yes, Mac the Ripper will copy any dvd - home-made or professional,
even copy-protected - to your Mac. The video files are then in .VOB
format, all contained in a folder called VIDEO_TS. You can view the
video with the DVD Player software that comes with the Mac (though in
my case it's always buggy), or with another freeware download program
called VLC.

If you want to edit the video, in iMovie or whatever else - you'd need
to convert the .VOB files into .MOV or whatever other format your
editing software can read (I don't know of any program that can
edit .VOB files directly). That's where spending more money comes into
play, unless there's a freeware program I'm unaware of that can do
this. I use Toast, but there is other commercial software that can
accomplish this. This process is also useful for grabbing a short clip
from a dvd.

But if your goal is to edit the video from the vhs tapes, by far the
simplest method is to use a digital camcorder or other device that
will transfer the analog signal to a digital one that can be directly
imported into iMovie. Even the cheapest and oldest digital camcorders
should be able to work for this purpose, and it doesn't even involve
using a digital video tape (though another method is to copy from vhs
to digital tape via the camcorder, then import from the digital tape
to the Mac - this gives the advantage of a digital backup, but it's an
extra step in the process). A used or bottom-line digital camcorder
shouldn't cost more than a dvr.

Jonathan