[Linganth] A World of Work: Imagined Manuals for Real Jobs

Ilana Gershon imgershon at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:24:43 UTC 2015

Dear All,
  On the off-chance that you might still need to give a graduation present,
  or have a friend with a mid-life crisis,
my edited volume of imagined job manuals for real jobs has just been
released.
There are charming ethnographic fictions by linguistic anthropologists:
-how to be a magician in Paris by Graham Jones and Loic Marquet
-how to be a journalist in Buryatia  by Kate Graber
-how to be a cell phone repair person in DC by Joel Kuipers, et. al

other manuals include:
costume designer in Bollywood - Claire Wilkinson-Weber
salmon farmer in Norway - Marienne Lien and John Law
musician in Bolivia - Michelle Bigenho
professional wrestler in Mexico - Heather Levi
factory worker in needle factory -- Caitryn Lynch and Warren Chamberlain

and many more   . . .

If you are tempted, Cornell University Press is having a 50% off sale
until June 16th.
Just use the code:  CUPS50

And I am attaching a flyer in case you decide you might want the book
after June 16th,
which gets you 20% off.

Best,
Ilana