[Linganth] Outline and resources for teaching a class on the senate hearings this week

Janina Fenigsen jfenigsen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 21:30:15 UTC 2018

Colleagues,

In the wake and anticipation of current unfolding events (would Whorf
approve?) I've put together some materials for teaching about the speech
event of the week, the upcoming Supreme Court senate hearings. The
materials include an outline of sorts and links to resources that hopefully
will  illuminate more than will they obscure issues at hand.

For the class, my students in ANT103, Culture and Communication, and ANT
329, Language in Society, will be reading Mendoza Denton's "Pregnant
Pauses." We may have a possible follow-up, once the hearings take place and
recordings and transcripts go viral.

BTW, ANT 329 is upper division, 35 students, many anthro majors. ANT 103 is
almost no anthro majors, 130 students.

Greetings,

Janina Fenigsen