[Linganth] Call for Papers for a Themed Issue in LCS, Language, Epistemology and the Politics of Knowledge Production

Perez-Milans, Miguel m.milans at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Sep 24 08:05:53 UTC 2019

***Apologies for possible cross-posting***

Call for Papers for a Themed Issue

Language, Epistemology and the Politics of Knowledge Production

Journal of Language, Culture and Society

We invite abstracts for full-length manuscripts to be published in Language, Culture and Society (LCS) as part of a themed issue on Language, Epistemology and the Politics of Knowledge production.

In the first two editorials of the journal we argued for an approach to knowledge on language and culture as a terrain of struggle. This, we believe, requires close attention to how our analytical and conceptual choices, the collaborations we engage with, the academic and political agendas we pursue and the ways we relate our work to knowledge produced by others get entrenched with complex dynamics of power and inequality characterizing both the academic fields and the social world at large (see Pérez-Milans, Baquedano-López, Del Percio, Vigouroux & Li Wei, 2019; Vigouroux, Baquedano-López, Chen, Del Percio, Pérez-Milans & Li Wei, 2019).

The implications of such a stance are vast, in our view. On the one hand, it pushes us to acknowledge the ways in which the kind of conceptual work underpinning our research have enabled specific historical projects of capitalism and colonization and thus the related forms of dispossession that come with these (see, for instance, the forum section in LCS’s inaugural issue for in-depth discussions around Silvia Rivera Cusicanqui’s critique of the dynamics of re-voicing and appropriation of knowledge within the Academia). On the other, this reflexive sensitivity also encourages us to revisit how our own framing of language and of the ways in which language intersects with race and larger dynamics of inequality and oppression may contribute to historically situated forms of ‘misrecognition’ (Bourdieu, 1977) or ‘blindness’ (Foucault, 1980) (see also contributions to LCS’s issue 1:2, to be published this Autumn). As a whole, these reflections invite us to rethink what research is and what it does.

Drawing on this body of work, we invite now contributions aiming to explore how these processes are re-articulated through the very epistemological choices that we researchers as knowledge producers make in the language disciplines. We welcome texts addressing the political nature of such choices by critically engaging with frameworks that may have contributed to normalize meanings of empirical neutrality and universality. This may include issues concerned with any aspect of data generation/analysis as well as with our own writing in the packaging of the stories that we claim to document. In so doing, we encourage contributors to revisit central work that has already been done in the field (e.g., Bucholtz, 2000), with a view to the possible consequences that our epistemological choices may have under the socioeconomic and political conditions in which we produce today. Following Cusicanqui’s arguments as well as the responses to her text in the LCS’s inaugural issue (see, for instance, McElhinny’s on acknowledging), we are particularly interested in explorations of how such considerations may contribute to new and emerging epistemologies as well as new ways of understanding authorship and academic knowledge production.

Please send your 500-word abstract to lcs.journal at ucl.ac.uk<mailto:lcs.journal at ucl.ac.uk> by no later than 15th of November 2019. Please see further below for a more detailed timeline regarding the publication process of this themed issue.

Best regards,

Editors of Language, Culture and Society (https://benjamins.com/catalog/lcs)

Patricia Baquedano-López, University of California, Berkeley

Katherine H.Y Chen, University of Macau

Alfonso Del Percio, University College London

Miguel Pérez-Milans, University College London

Cécile B. Vigouroux, Simon Fraser University

Li Wei, University College London