[Linganth] Indigenous Languages Workshops & Conference

s.t. bischoff bischoff.st at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 08:16:28 UTC 2019

Hello all,

Please share. Registration is now open for workshops at the upcoming
International Year of Indigenous Languages 2019:  Perspectives
<https://iyil2019perspectives.org/> conference at Purdue University
Fortwayne 30 October - 2 November. The conference is free to Indigenous
community members and those traveling from outside Europe, the US,
Australia, and Japan.

Workshops are open to anyone, and are included with conference
registration. You can register for any of the workshops with the below
links. If you have any questions feel free to contact me at
bischoff.st at gmail.com.

Kind Regards, Shannon Bischoff

*JE:NIGIDA *Register here
<https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_b2SMrfQmWmtSxil>for this
workshop

*Wednesday October 30th, 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. *
*American Indian Language Development Institute *Facilitators: Alyce
Sadongei

recognizes that language revitalization is closely aligned with issues of
sovereignty, colonialism, well-being, and self-determination. This session
will examine these and other issues that affect language work in our
communities but we often do not have the time to discuss. Facilitated group
discussions will encourage honest, respectful engagement and there will be
time for all groups to share.

*THE MASTER-APPRENTICE LANGUAGE LEARNING PROGRAM *Register here
<https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_8js09h6scvAQhwh>for this
workshop

*Wednesday October 30th, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. **Advocates for
Indigenous California Language Survival*
Facilitators: Leanne Hinton, Julian Lang, Nancy Steele, and Carly Tex

designed by the Advocates for Indigenous California Language Survival, has
been found to be one of the most successful ways for adult learners to
develop conversational proficiency in indigenous languages. In this
workshop we will present the basic principles of this one-on-one method,
illustrating with interactive exercises. We will discuss how and why it can
work well (and sometimes not), and how it feeds into language
revitalization efforts at school, in the community, and in the home. We
will also discuss how a community could set up their own MAP program.

*BREATH OF LIFE: LEARNING INDIGENOUS LANGUAGES FROM DOCUMENTATION
*Register here
<https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_ewFptSaffkIG8TP>for this
workshop

*Wednesday, October 30th, 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. **Advocates for Indigenous
California Language Survival and the Miyaamia Center*
Facilitators: Quirina Geary, Leanne Hinton, Deborah Morillo, Kayla Begay,
Daryl Baldwin

linguistic documentation to use for language learning and revitalization.
We will begin with a history and overview of the Breath of Life workshops
and institutes for indigenous languages without speakers, in Berkeley,
Washington D.C., and Oklahoma. The structure of these institutes will be
discussed for people interested in setting up their own. We will go over
how to find documentation, what you might need to learn in order to
understand and make use of it, how to organize it, how to turn linguistic
documentation into usable materials for language learning, and how the use
of documentation has inspired and furthered the language journeys of
individuals and communities. Breakout sessions will go into more detail on
participants’ choice of discussion on finding materials, organizing and
analyzing the materials, use for language teaching and learning, setting up
a Breath of Life workshop, or other related topics.

*CREATING NEW INFRASTRUCTURE WITHIN THE FIELD OF INDIGENOUS LANGUAGE
REVITALIZATION *Register here
<https://purdue.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_54Shz2CTtdW3Iep>for this
workshop

*Wednesday October 30th, 3:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. *Facilitator: Jacob
Manatowa-Bailey

infrastructure within the field of Indigenous Language Revitalization.  It
will propose new directions for future research and development with a
focus on community mobilization, capacity building, and the human dynamics
of creating social change.