[Linganth] reading recommendations?

Ignasi Clemente ignasiclemente at gmail.com
Sun Feb 2 20:28:50 UTC 2020

Hi Janina,

This is an interesting book
Al Zidjaly, N. (2015). Disability, Discourse and Technology. Agency and Inclusion in (Inter)action. Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan.

Outside of linguistic anthropology, conversation analysts Steven Bloch and Ray Wilkinson have examined extensively the communication of people with speech disabilities (mostly dysarthria) caused by traumatic brain injuries and cerebral palsy, using and not using augmentative and alternative communication technologies.  Just to list a few,

Bloch, S., Saldert, C., & Ferm, U. (2015). Problematic topic transitions in dysarthric conversation. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 17(4), 373-383.
Bloch, S., & Wilkinson, R. (2004). The understandability of AAC: a conversation analysis study of acquired dysarthria. AAC: Augmentative & Alternative Communication, 20(4), 272-282.
Bloch, S., & Wilkinson, R. (2011). Acquired dysarthria in conversation: Methods of resolving understandability problems. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders, 46(5), 510-523.
Bloch, S., & Wilkinson, R. (2011). The accomplishment of nonserious talk in severe speech disability: An examination of recipient uptake and delayed other-initiated repair.

I’m sure you’re also familiar with the book that Chuck edited
Goodwin, C. (Ed.). (2003). Conversation and Brain Damage. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Ignasi