[Linganth] resources on COVID for teaching Language and Health

Netta Avineri navineri at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 16:50:09 UTC 2020

Thanks Lynnette. Great to have this space to share resources/ideas.

A few things that might be useful...

My colleagues and I are co-teaching an interdisciplinary course on COVID-19
this semester, and this week we are having the students watch this great
webinar from colleagues (and Glenn Martinez is speaking with the class
tomorrow):
https://u.osu.edu/languageaccessresearch/ (“Reclaiming Language access in
US Latino communities during COVID-19”)

Jena Barchas-Lichtenstein and colleague John Voiklis from Knology did an
awesome guest video/lecture about numeracy, and these sources are very
useful in that regard:

https://knology.org/article/numbers-in-the-news/ (Links to an external
site.) <https://knology.org/article/numbers-in-the-news/>

https://knology.org/article/who-counts-the-politics-of-covid-19-data/ (Links
to an external site.)
<https://knology.org/article/who-counts-the-politics-of-covid-19-data/>

https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/numeracy/vol13/iss2/art4/ (Links to an
external site.) <https://scholarcommons.usf.edu/numeracy/vol13/iss2/art4/>

Eric Johnson also did a really great video/lecture about metaphor analysis
and public discourse, including drawing from COVID-19 sources about
education.

A few other sources that might be useful as well:

   1. From HIV to COVID-19: Anthropology, urgency, and the politics of
   engagement (Links to an external site.)
   <http://somatosphere.net/2020/from-hiv-to-covid19-anthropology-urgency-and-the-politics-of-engagement.html/>
   2. Imagining Rural Immunity (Links to an external site.)
   <https://www.anthropology-news.org/index.php/2020/06/19/imagining-rural-immunity/>
   3. Social Distancing and the Culture of Semiotics of Contact (Links to
   an external site.)
   <https://linguisticanthropology.org/social-distancing-cultural-semiotics-contact/>
   <https://linguisticanthropology.org/social-distancing-cultural-semiotics-contact/>
   <https://linguisticanthropology.org/social-distancing-cultural-semiotics-contact/>