[Linganth] Reading recommendations 'we' among activists

Jennifer Guzman guzman at geneseo.edu
Tue Mar 23 17:08:27 UTC 2021

Dear Duff,

Although it is not specific to your question about research on use of 'we'
among activists, your student may find the following articles useful. In
them, my colleague and I report on our own ethnographic research with some
of the activists who were involved in the same NYS campaign for driver's
license access.

2020 Medeiros MA and JR Guzmán. Im/migrant Farmworker Deportability Fears
and Mental Health in the Trump Era: A Study of Polimigra and Contramigra in
New York State. Culture, Agriculture, Food, and Environment 42(2):103-113.
https://doi.org/10.1111/cuag.12254

2020 Guzmán, JR and MA Medeiros. Damned If You Drive, Damned If You Don’t:
Meso-level Policy and Im/migrant Farmworker Tactics under a Regime of
Immobility. Human Organization 79(2):130-139.
https://doi.org/10.17730/1938-3525.79.2.130

2019 Guzmán, JR and MA Medeiros. An Unlikely Cause: The Struggle for
Driver’s Licenses to Prevent Family Separation. Practicing Anthropology
41(1):3-6.

Best regards,
Jennifer Guzmán
SUNY Geneseo

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2021 01:13:07 -0400
> From: Gregory Morton <gmorton at bard.edu>
> To: linganth at listserv.linguistlist.org
> Subject: [Linganth] Reading recommendations: "we" among activists?
>
> Dear list readers,
>
>        Thank you for your collective wisdom! Tonight, I'm wondering if you
> can suggest any sources about the use of person deixis (especially "we" in
> English and similar forms in Spanish) among activists. This is for someone
> who's writing about a coalition that (successfully!) organized to persuade
> the New York state legislature to allow drivers licenses for undocumented
> migrants. The coalition's members made effective use of "we" in
> articulating the alliance that held them together, and it would be good to
> read sources that consider this issue. Again, *thank you* for any
> suggestions you can offer.
>          good wishes,
>                          -Duff
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/linganth/attachments/20210323/b0bfeb2c/attachment-0001.html

> End of Linganth Digest, Vol 78, Issue 8

Jennifer R. Guzmán, PhD (she/her/ella)
Assistant Professor of Anthropology
State University of New York, Geneseo
One College Circle, Geneseo, NY 14454 USA
Phone: (585) 245-5174 - Fax: (585) 245-5633
Virtual office hours: Monday-Thursday 4:00-4:50pm
<https://geneseo.zoom.us/j/93341871133?pwd=Wm1wZUNXWkZ4ZDFRdkszTkxScjd2UT09>
https://www.geneseo.edu/anthropology/guzman