[Linganth] Reading recommendations 'we' among activists

Cynthia Gordon cyngordon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 17:31:52 UTC 2021

Dear Duff,
The following papers might be useful. The first one (by one of my terrific
former students, Minh Nguyen) studies the discourse of an online AAPI
activist group and includes consideration of "we" (though that is not the
paper's main focus). The second one is a paper that I co-wrote with a
colleague in counselor education; it examines "we" specifically (in a
non-activist context, but still pertaining to creating shared alignments).

Nguyen, Naomee-Minh. 2021. "This is similar to Vincent Chin":
Intertextuality, referring expressions, and the discursive construction of
Asian American activist identities in an online messaging community. *Discourse
& Society* 31(1): 98-118.

Gordon, Cynthia and Melissa Luke. 2016.* We* and professional identity
socialization in email supervision of counselors-in-training. *Journal of
Language and Social Psychology* 35(1): 56-76.

Best,
Cynthia Gordon
Department of Linguistics
Georgetown University