[AGAIN-GO-ER]

Stefan Knoob stefanknoob at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Aug 27 21:02:25 UTC 2003

Just one addition to my first message:

Pleased to see that the word is much older, which confirmed a suspicion that
I didn't state because I didn't check the evidence. After all the
romanticists were not particularly original in a lot of their material,
often even consciously as part of their 'rediscovery' of old 'national' and
popular myths.

Here, however, I would like to switch to a provocative proposition:
That perhaps we should consider the spread of the linguistic construction
(wordformation pattern) here more as a cultural spread of a complex concept
rather than a the spread of complex construction! Meaning that the
dissemination goes have proceeded as interaction between concept and form,
rather than simply a transmission of form.
This for the following reasons:
1. The concept is itself complex, involving repetition of an event by an
agent: PERSON WHO GOES (BACK) AGAIN.
2. The construction in question ['again-go-AGENT.NOMINALISER'] is itself
highly transparent vis-a-vis the complex structure of the concept, and
related to the verb formation pattern ['again-go'] and hence the general
['again-VERB'].
3. Therefore, if a language has this pattern, then the concept and the
source language construction are both influencing the new construction
(word) in the target language.