"simple juxtaposition"

Wolfgang Schulze W.Schulze at LRZ.UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Tue Nov 25 17:21:03 UTC 2008

Dear Martin,
sure, from a heuristic point of view your arguments make sense. However,
we should be aware of the fact that segmental marking is just one side
of the story: If we neglect possible (!) prosodic features,we are at
risk to ascribe functional values to segmental items that are ultimately
due to e.g. prosodics. In my humble opinion, linguistic expressions are
'gestalts', and cutting off segments from these gestalts always
conditions a loss of information (properties of the gestalt). For
instance, a feather always is a feather of a special kind of bird. If we
reduce our analysis to the properties of the feather itself without
referring to the whole gestalt of the bird and the interaction of (say)
feather and wing dynamics, we probably cannot describe (and explain!)
the properties of the feather coherently. In other words: Segmental
marking is a 'part of the whole' and isolating it from the whole means
to deprive it from its 'gestalting' properties. The fact that we have
not (yet) available 'Papuan apples' should motivate us to be cautious
with respect to the segmental features (Papuan oranges) we are
confronted with and to describe their functional values (derived from
segmental analysis) with a marked '*caveat*' in our heads....
Best wishes,
Wolfgang

--

*Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Schulze    *

/Primary contact:

  /

Institut für Allgemeine & Typologische Sprachwissenschaft

Dept. II / F 13

Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München

Ludwigstraße 25

Postanschrift / Postal address: Geschwister-Scholl-Platz 1

D-80539 München

Tel.: 0049-(0)89-2180-2486
(Secretary)

         0049-(0)89-2180-5343