[Lingtyp] European Commission on authorship transfer agreements

Martin Haspelmath haspelmath at shh.mpg.de
Tue Dec 22 14:49:39 UTC 2015

The statement about ownership of copyright needs to be interpreted in
the context of "fair open access" publication. Most publication in
linguistics is not (gold) open access, so publishers need to restrict
access in order to stay in business. Hence, they need authors to
transfer the copyright to them.

(The case that Dan Everett mentions, where an author gets royalties, is
so marginal that we can ignore in on Lingtyp.)

Frankly, I do not understand why retaining the copyright is important
with open access publication. Not owning the copyright is frustrating
when the publisher refuses to give access to a work (for example, my
2002 book "Understanding morphology" is no longer available, but the
publisher refuses to return the copyright to me, so it's unavailable, at
least through normal channels).

But when the publisher has agreed to make a book available in open
access, with a liberal license, then it doesn't really matter who owns
the copyright (it seems to me).

What matters most, it seems to me, is who owns the labels. Is the label
"Linguistic Typology" still owned by the Association for Linguistic
Typology? Or was it signed over to De Gruyter in exchange for favourable
conditions? If the former, then ALT can shop around for even better
conditions. If the latter, then each time we publish (or cite) an LT
paper, we increase De Gruyter's income, independently of their services.

Martin