[Lingtyp] Query: syllable-reversing ludlings

Hiroto Uchihara uchihara at buffalo.edu
Sun May 17 17:27:01 UTC 2020

Dear David,

According to the Ito et al. (1996), fu.men 'score' > men.fu, mo.dan
'modern' > dan.mo, ya.súi 'cheap' > sui.ya; here, we could say that the
syllables are reversed or the same 123 > 231 reversing is being applied.
With longer words, they report ba.tsu.gun 'fantastic' > gun.ba.tsu,
ki.chí.gai 'crazy' > gai.ki.chi, koo.híi 'coffee' > hii.koo so maybe 123..X
> (X-1)(X)123.. with moraic counting is more general.  They also report
cases of 123 > 321 (with moraic counting), such as pán.tsu ~ pan.tsu
'pants' > tsun.pa, tái.pu 'type' > pui.ta.

Hiroto